Monday, October 10, 2011

Edinburgh Part 1

I took so many pictures in Edinburgh that I decided to split this up into two posts. I'll start with Friday and then do Saturday and Sunday in my next post.
Photobucket
The trip started out with an hour long bus ride. Everything would have been fine except that the bus had no ventilation and Scotland was having somewhat of a heat wave (the 70's counts as a heat wave here). We all thought we were going to melt.
Photobucket
Off to find our hostel. Little did we know that it would be full of smelly boys. And I mean SMELLY. But it was fine. There were clean beds, a clean bathroom and even a kitchen. It was also right on the Royal Mile which was very convenient. 
Photobucket
Our first stop was the National Museum of Scotland. It was basically like the Milwaukee Public Museum. Now, anyone who knows me well will know that I am not a fan of wax figures or taxidermy. But I went into the dead animal room anyway. This picture is proof. Aren't you proud Mom?
Photobucket
Anna's future pet.
Photobucket
Meet Dolly. She was the first mammal to be cloned from an adult cell. She was cloned in Edinburgh and lived for six years until she died on Valentine's day in 2003 from numerous health problems. She was named after Dolly Parton because she was cloned from a mammary gland cell and the scientists couldn't think of a better set of glands than Dolly Parton. She is also call Disco Dolly because the museum set her up on a rotating platform with all sorts of lighting.
Photobucket
After the museum we headed over to Arthur's Seat for a quick hike. Yup, I climbed all the way to the top of that. Arthur's Seat was a place that a lot of royals went for recreational hunting. It is also one of the possible locations for Camelot. 
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Edinburgh is also beautiful at night. I ended my day with a haunted ghost tour of Damnation Alley. Apparently Edinburgh is one of the most haunted places in the world with the most reports of paranormal activity. It has both the poltergeist of Greyfriars Graveyard and the South Bridge Entity. I chose not to go through a graveyard at 10pm so Libby and I went on the City of the Dead Underground tour. This tour took us through a bunch of caverns underground that the South Bridge Entity is said to haunt. The story was that during the time when Edinburgh was having over population problems (this was hundreds of years ago, sorry I don't remember the exact dates, I was a little frightened at the time) the poor people of the city were forced to live in these caverns underground. Awful things happened and none of them had long life spans after they were forced underground. From all of this misery came the South Bridge Entity which haunts the caverns to this day. The part of the tunnels we went through is called Damnation Alley because that is where the paranormal activity is the strongest. But to be honest, every tour goes through different parts of the tunnels, so I'm sure they say theirs is the most haunted. Anyway, the history of the place was neat but the whole thing was a little staged. They even had jumper in the last cavern. But it was an interesting story and I can promise you that I was efficiently scared. The silly part thing was Anna and Libby told the tour guide that I was super scared, so he kinda picked on me the whole time. Not cool.

2 comments:

Ariana said...

are you gonna visit Loch Ness? I feel like this is a mandatory happening while you are in Scotland...

cm2090 said...

I am proud of you! I am also surprised at how brave you were to go on a ghost tour. Love your blog.