Saturday, November 12, 2011

Dublin!

So I fail at updating frequently. I still have to post about Mixed Regionals and London. But this one is about my trip to Dublin. October 28-30 my friend and I went to Dublin. My friend plays frisbee with me and she's also a study abroad student. We got to stay in Trinity College housing with my cousin, Sara. Thank you Sara! I'll do this post in the same style as Edinburgh where I'll explain everything with visual aids.
Day One:
Photobucket
We started by meeting up with my friend Josh. He's also studying abroad. We then went to Merrion Square. It was full of war memorials but I was looking for one statue in particular.
Photobucket
Say hello to Oscar Wilde. This statue is called some pretty crude names. All of which are too inappropriate to type here. If you wanna know, feel free to ask. I think it is important to say that my trip to Dublin revolved around literature. Oscar Wilde was born in Dublin and attended Trinity College. Samuel Beckett also attended Trinity College. Since I am studying their work at St. Andrews I was really excited to see where they had lived and studied. The funny thing is that Eva is a science person so we had to balance the literature with the science. We were very good at compromising.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Brownie points if you can tell me which Oscar Wilde play this quote comes from.
We ended our night by going to a Halloween party thrown for the Trinity College post graduate students. Thank you Sara for getting us tickets! Eva and I were both really tired from a day full of traveling so we left pretty early. 
Day Two:
Photobucket
We started our day at St. Stephen's Green. It is a little park in the middle of the city. It was nice to take a break from the bustling city in the quiet of the Green. St. Stephen's Green was full of statues and pretty gardens. It also houses the James Joyce Memorial.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Next we went to the National Museum of Archeology. It was huge so there was no way we were going to be able to see everything in the museum. Both of us were interested in seeing an exhibition called Kingship and Sacrifice so we went there first. The exhibition housed bodies from the Iron Age that had been preserved in the bogs of Ireland. Scientists had done analysis of the bodies and were able to tell how they had lived, died, even what their last meal was. It was like Bones. The pictures below are from the exhibit. Warning: these pictures are rated PG-13 because they're a little gross. Ask Eva, it was difficult for me to walk into the rooms with the bodies in them. I would kinda creep in and then when I got used to the ickyness I would creep in a little further, snap a picture and then book it out of there. It didn't help that the bodies were in these tiny, secluded rooms with creepy lighting.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
We ended with a trip to The Treasury. Because who doesn't like gold and jewels? After that we wandered around Trinity College for a little while. It really is a gorgeous campus. Maybe a little congested by tourism, although I shouldn't be talking considering I was a tourist there. I even managed to find the Samuel Beckett Theatre. I snapped a picture and peeked my head in. The students inside looked at me kind of funny. Yes, I'm very embarrassing to travel with. 
Photobucket
Then we met up with Sara and she got us free admission into the Book of Kells and the Old Library. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside but I personally thought the Old Library was cooler than the Book of Kells. And Grandma, Sara noticed that they turned the page. They even had a draft of The Playboy of the Western World by J. M. Synge in the Old Library. To a theatre nerd like me that is very exciting. It's not like I'm obsessed or anything.
Photobucket
After that it was time for The Guinness Brewery. The tour was really well done and I now know more about brewing beer than I would ever like to know. We even got our very own pints of Guinness at the end of the tour in the Gravity Bar. The Gravity Bar is at the top of the building and is made of windows. The view was gorgeous. Guinness is a little too much for me but it was nice to try after learning so much about it. Word to the wise though, don't go into the tour hungry and over tired. It makes drinking your pint a little difficult.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Day Three:
Eva and I were awake and ready at 5am to catch our 7:30am flight. Sunday was a day of travel. Buses don't run as frequently on Sundays so it was a long trip back to St. Andrews. We had to change buses three times to get to where we wanted to go. By the time I got back to my flat I was exhausted and ready to crash. 
Dublin was a fantastic trip and I feel like we didn't get to spend nearly enough time there. Thank you again Sara for letting us stay with you!

No comments: