Friday, November 4, 2011

Edinburgh Beginners

October 14-16 I attended Edinburgh Beginners. It was another Beginners tournament where only one experienced player is allowed on the pitch at a time and they are not allowed to score points. This tournament was much larger than Glasgow One Day. There were even teams that flew in from Ireland. If you're a beginner and wanted some experience playing a fun, relaxed tournament, this would have been the one to go to. Flatball has the tradition of sending out highlights e-mails after every tournament. They highlight the good stuff and lowlight the bad stuff. So that's what I'm going to do in this post.
Highlights
- The costume party. As you can see from the pictures below, there was a party Saturday night. No, Halloween didn't come early, Ultimate players are just that cool. The theme was cartoon characters. I went as Strawberry Shortcake. The party took place at one of the clubs in Edinburgh. It was really fun to meet other frisbee players in a setting other than a dirty, sweaty gym.
- Getting to try out new things on the frisbee pitch. Since everyone was relatively new to frisbee there wasn't as much pressure to play perfect. I got to try out throws that I had just learned and hadn't perfected yet (think hammers, scoobers and full field blades). Instead of being heckled for messing up, a lot of the experienced players were super encouraging (to be fair, they also thought I had never played before). One of the Irish teams even called me "that little lady who throws those awesome blades". Yay!
- Having frisbee goggles. Yup, guys look better when they're playing frisbee. 
- When we arrived we were given directions to a pub, threw our bags in a back room, had our hands stamped and were told the stamps gave us drink discounts. And that's how Edinburgh Beginners began.  Needless to say, it was a very fun first night. 
- Calls. It's so much fun to meet players from other teams. 
- Playing the second day of Edinburgh Beginners. There were lots of remnants of costumes and even more hangovers. It was very common to see a rather sick looking player with the remains of blue body paint from the night before. I thought it was hilarious. 
I don't really have any lowlights. It was an awesome weekend and I'm so glad I got the opportunity to go to the tournament. I got closer with the people on my team and met people from all over Scotland and Ireland. Below are some pictures from the weekend. 
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: