Thursday, December 8, 2011

Raisin!

Raisin Weekend and Monday is a long standing tradition at St. Andrews. Here is a link to the St. Andrews Raisin Guide explaining all the traditions. They explain it a lot better than I would. To be honest, in a nutshell, Raisin Sunday is a day when academic parents get their children really drunk (sorry Mom). I explained academic parents in this post. My Raisin Sunday began at noon. I went over to where my academic mother was hosting her Raisin party with some other academic mothers and the games began. We started with a game of shot roulette and things got rolling from there. The academic mother's party consists of cute tea party games, except the tea is probably alcoholic. We went on a scavenger hunt around St. Andrews, did an obstacle course, played chubby bunny, and much more. Our mothers were even nice enough to make us lunch. Below are some pictures of the festivities from our academic mothers' party. Some of these pictures were taken from Facebook since I didn't take that many photos during Raisin. So thank you to all of my friends who were taking pictures!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
After the party with our mothers, we walked on over to our academic dad's place. This is more of a party than a gathering with planned games and events. It was loud, rowdy, and full of drunk academic children. Not exactly my thing but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I ended up leaving a bit early (it was a long day) and got some rest before Raisin Monday.
On to Raisin Monday. This is actually the only school sanctioned event and I had no idea what a big deal it was. Basically there is a huuuuuge foam fight in St. Salvator's quad. There were cops all over to direct traffic and make sure students didn't get hit by cars. Before going to the foam fight your academic mother dresses you up in some sort of costume. My mother dressed my brother and me up as pac man and the ghost. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it but it was an incredible costume. She had worked so hard on it and I looked quite adorable if I do say so myself. Then you walk on over to the quad and laugh at the silly things other academic children got dressed up as. There were french maids, astronauts, Little Bo Peep and her sheep and much more. It was awesome. Then you get in line for the Raisin processional. Everyone comes out to see it. Parents bring their kids to see all the silly costumes the St. Andrews students get dressed up in. I dropped off my costume with my academic mom so it wouldn't get ruined and went into the foam fight. It was CRAZY. You can hardly recognize anyone because we all all covered in shaving cream but I eventually found other frisbee kids and it was a blast. It really reminded me of Flunk Day at Knox. Except I was getting foam shoved in my face instead of mud. I really can't decided which is worse. Here are some pictures from the foam fight. Check out my hair do.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
After the foam fight I got to make the long walk back to DRA covered in shaving cream. At one point I was stopped and asked "what's the occasion?". I think I smelled like shaving cream for at least two days after the foam fight and I've washed the clothes that I wore and they still smell. Oh well, what can you do?
So that's Raisin. It was absolutely insane and I am proud to say I made it through alive. Flunk Day trained me well. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

No comments: