Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Thanksgiving and Hanukkah

         For the third time I spent my Thanksgiving abroad. Honestly, it gets harder every single year. Thanksgiving is my time for family, yet I am never home for it. Thus, Thanksgiving has become a time for me to celebrate the new families that I create every year. From Scotland to Barcelona, I have been fortunate enough to have lovely families with whom I celebrate Thanksgiving. This year was no different. I have grown close to a group of girls who also teach English here. Three of them took it upon themselves to cook up a traditional Thanksgiving meal for the rest of us. It was delicious! There was stuffing, a whole chicken, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and so much more. We were content and stuffed into a food coma by the end of the dinner. It was perfect. 
 photo file-71.jpg 
        Being away from home for Hanukkah was more difficult. This was the first time I was away from home for Hannaukah in my entire life. I didn't expect the homesickness to hit me as hard as it did. I did what I could to keep away the blues. Catherine was really nice and bought the apartment silver and gold decorations (appropriate for both Christmas and Chanukkah), I made a paper Chanukiah and then took it upon myself to throw a Hanukkah party for my newfound family. For the first time in my life I made Latkes. With the help of my friends dinner was put on the table and my first attempt at Latkes was a smashing success. I even found gelt. They had euro signs on them, but they were chocolate coins all the same. I am truly thankful for my Spanish family. They kept away the majority of homesickness and constantly gave me something to look forward to and celebrate.  
 photo file-73.jpg  photo file-72.jpg

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Those Latkes look soooo good. A lovely post.