Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Rest of Christmas Vacation

When I got back from Italy I hit the ground running. If there's one thing Seville knows how to do it's celebrate. Christmas Eve meant a huge parade called the Cabalgata de Reyes. Instead of Santa Claus bringing the children their gifts, the wise men do. So the wise men parade around the city on Christmas Eve. The parade consists of floats sponsored by different companies and organizations around the city. The people on the float throw candy and other goodies. The candy throwing is deadly. I didn't know whether to cheer or cover my head to protect myself! We were on the main street of Triana and you wouldn't believe how crowded it was. When the whole parade had passed the ground was coated in gooey and sticky candy. My shoes were gross. The next day there were local parades. The one in Triana was exactly the same as the night before except smaller. Below are a couple of videos to give you the idea of what the Cabalgata was like. 

No comments: