Tuesday, May 6, 2014

What I'm Reading // The Ocean at the End of the Lane

 photo batch_gaimancover-640x328.jpg
This book has been in the back of my mind for awhile. It had been a long time since I had read anything by Neil Gaiman. I read Neverwhere in high school, I enjoyed it, but I don't think I was ready for what Neil Gaiman likes to give to his readers. I was trepidatious as I started The Ocean at the End of the Lane, was I ready now? I don't know if anyone is ever truly ready for anything written by Neil Gaiman, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book and it had me thinking a lot. Here's my top ten list of thinks.

1. The image of being a grown up to children
2. The idea of death to children
3. Why is food always so yummy sounding in books?
4. How does Gaiman always make the fantastic seem so normal?
5. The female characters protecting the male protagonist
6. How reliable is the narrator anyway? These are his memories
7. What would it have been like if it had stayed as a short story?
8. I don't know how I feel about the villain in the book, is she just just one of many?
9. The fantasy world Gaiman created seemed bigger than what he revealed
10. The idea of wanting things

No comments: