Saturday, May 10, 2014

Where's all the Fancy Beer?

 photo batch_IMG_1426.jpg
As any good Milwaukee native, I have developed a love for craft beer. Imagine my disappointment upon discovering that very little craft beer exists in Sevilla. Cruz Campo holds a monopoly on the majority of the beer business here. I would describe Cruz Campo as beer flavored water. It's...gross. It was disheartening not to receive a beer book along with my menu at restaurants. Here, you simply have to say, "beer please" and a nice cold glass of something that wishes it was beer gets placed in front of you.
 photo batch_IMG_1486.jpg  photo batch_IMG_1484.jpg
It took some time, but eventually I was able to discover the slowly (very slowly) emerging craft breweries in and around Sevilla. There are two tasting centers: Lupulópolis (which means hops city) and XXXII. There is also the Cervecería Internacional which is a bar that tends to overcharge for the glasses of beer. I have only been to the Cervecería Internacional and Lupulópolis, the latter I stumbled upon with a friend while wandering around the city center. Since then I have taken it upon myself to introduce as many people as possible to my new found favorite place to grab a drink. Lupulópolis carries exclusively Spanish craft beer. The other store (XXXII) carries a wider range of European beers at a higher price.
The first craft beer you should order is Domus I.P.A. I'm not a big I.P.A. fan, but this one blew my mind. The brewery is based in Toledo and I haven't tasted a beer of theirs that I haven't liked. I've found the people that I've talked to to be excited about the rising interest in craft beer in Sevilla. They are always excited to recommend their favorites and help me expand my Spanish beer vocabulary.  photo batch_IMG_1490.jpg

No comments: