Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My First 5k

 photo batch_IMG_1352.jpg
On of my goals for this summer is to improve my fitness and activity level, so I started running. I. hate. running. I'm a sprinter not a distance runner and I get easily bored. But running is the easiest and most straightforward way to begin any fitness journey. I started slow with a concrete goal in sight: my dad and I signed up for a 5k for the weekend after I got home from Seville. I started training during my last couple of weeks in Spain. It was really fun to run along the river just after the realllllly hot sun had gone down. I started slow and worked my way day by day to 3 miles. I had no idea what to expect on the day of Rock 'n Sole, but it exceeded all of my expectations. There were hundreds of people running (and more people running the 10k and half marathons) so the energy was high. They closed down some of the streets in Milwaukee and I loved getting the opportunity to run throughout the streets and take my time to look at buildings and businesses that I normally drive by in a rush. Dad and I finished in 27 minutes, and with all the excitement and adrenaline, I didn't feel that tired at all. We're all signed up for Storm the Bastille and, although sometimes I don't want to, I still get outside and run.  photo batch_IMG_1347.jpg

No comments: